Wyzant has partnered with institutions and organizations to provide online tutoring to their students. These institutions and organizations are paying for tutoring on behalf of the students and each sets its own parameters, including eligible students, eligible courses, and hourly rate budgets.
You can read more about our partnerships by checking out these blog posts:
- Announcing Wyzant for Higher Ed - We’re now partnering with higher ed institutions
- Wyzant for Higher Ed - Are Partner Students a Good Fit for You?
Below are answers to frequently asked questions related to Wyzant’s partnerships.
- How does payment work for lessons with partnership students?
- Wyzant works directly with partners to handle payment, and all partnership student accounts have payment on file. All you need to do is submit the lesson details after your lesson has concluded. As with all students you work with through the platform, you will earn 75% of your hourly rate for lessons with partnership students.
- The partnership student I’m working with has taken the total number of lessons covered by their program and would like to continue lessons with me. How can they accomplish this?
- Your student is welcome to create a personal account separate from their partnership account and place a personal method of payment on file in order to continue lessons. Please encourage them to contact our Customer Support team for assistance. After helping your student create a personal account, our team can ensure that the new account is connected directly to your own in order to proceed with lessons.
- I noticed that my partnership student’s account is suddenly locked. Why would this occur?
- Student accounts are locked for a variety of reasons. Typically it means one of two things: either the course Wyzant was a supporting resource for has ended or the student has reached their lesson limit within the partner’s subsidy. Students are encouraged to create personal accounts in order to connect with their tutor and continue with lessons should they choose to do so when their institutional access concludes.
- Why do some partnership students have different rate caps/lesson allotments than others?
- Wyzant supports many different types of institutions and organizations and often multiple programs and courses within each. Each has varying parameters leading individual programs to set the appropriate limits for their specific student population.
- Who decides the rate cap limits for partnership students?
- Each program determines appropriate caps based on enrollment totals, student needs, and their allotment for the Wyzant resource.
- Why would a partner institution decide to change the parameters for a particular program?
- Each program periodically revisits their resources, deciding internally the support options provided to their student base.
- How can I change my rate to work with a partnership student?
- As mentioned, Partnership students are pre-approved for multiple tutoring sessions, do not pay for their own tutoring, and are subject to an hourly rate budget set by their institution. The student is not aware of this rate as they are not responsible for payment. This is listed on the job as a “required rate” and you must agree to the required rate when applying to the job. You may see several identical postings; each one represents a unique tutoring opportunity, often from multiple students taking the same class. Agreeing to the required rate will not affect your public or in-person default rates, or any rates for future job applications for other students.
If the student has contacted you directly for lessons, please contact our Customer Support team in order to reduce your rate for a partnership student. Customer Support can be reached at email@example.com, via live-chat from your tutor dashboard, or at (312) 646-6365. You may also contact our Success team at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a rate reduction.
**Due to an issue currently affecting rate change requests submitted for partnership accounts, please do not submit a formal rate change request to a partnership student at this time. Instead, follow the above advice.
- Are partnership students approved for group lessons?
- Not at this time. Most institutions are partnering with Wyzant specifically for the 1:1 tutor-student relationship and individualized approach.
- I’ve developed a long term tutoring relationship with a partnership student. Their account was previously closed, but they’ve contacted me outside the site to indicate their institution has approved them for more lessons. I cannot locate the student’s account on my “Student Connections” list, however, and their messages are still locked. What is their account status and are they approved to proceed with lessons?
- If your messages with a partnership student are still locked and you are unable to locate their account on your list, this likely indicates that the account remains closed. Please encourage your student to have their advisor contact email@example.com to have the account reopened. Our team can only do so with confirmation from the institution. Please do not proceed with lessons until you confirm the student’s account has been reopened.